View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof2grls View Post
I really dont think a 2nd opinin will really h elp bc i see the damage and have talked to many of my doctors and if i dont get it done then i will wake up one day and not be able to walk and really dont want to risk that either...
Ok, regardless of what I said above (and I'm not flip-flopping), I believe that where surgery is concerned, multiple opinions are ALWAYS in order, and here's why....

First and foremost, we're not doctors here; we're peer patients like you, with all the same concerns, doubts, fears, questions, emotions.... SOME of us have acquired some experience and wisdom with the desire to impart/share, and support others through this process. It's not easy for anyone, and no-one knows that better than the folks here who've been through it and/or are going through it. Also, some of us have some experience dealing with doctors, and with what they sometimes - don't/forget to - tell us.

If a second/third opinion comes in agreeing with the first, you have some peace of mind that this is the right course to take. There are never any guarantees with surgery, and there are situations/possibilities where you could/might conceivably doubt/question yourself afterward for NOT getting a second opinion - coulda/shoulda.

If, OTOH, a second opinion disagrees with the first, there may be some hope/solution without undertaking the risks of surgery (which are many) OR there may be a difference of opinion on the particular procedure (or particulars OF the procedure) in which case a third opinion might be in order to assure some agreement and that all bases have been covered. (Again, we're not doctors, so we don't know.) This goes toward your peace of mind as well.

You want as much information as possible about your condition and ALL available options in order to make the best informed decision possible for your and your family's futures.

We'll all support you whatever your decision is, but we do hear all too often, "If I had only known then what I know now" or "I wish someone had told me...", etc.

The time is now to ask all the (right) questions.
Google: questions ask spinal surgery (and play around with the search criteria to find out exactly what you want/need to know).

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (03-16-2012)