View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 03:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightnurse30 View Post
My last period was the day i had my accident. Havent had another one since then. Thats the common thought....that the head injury is the cause for the amenorrhea. All my hormone levels are normal, my thyroid levels are appropriate, and internally....everything appears normal. Western Medicine is stumped and hasnt been able to give me a solid explanation for it.

My acupuncturist obviously is thinking along eastern medicine reasons and did connect my headaches thyroid, and amenorrhea to a blockage of energy along a certain meridian that supplies the pituitary, thyroid, and reproductive organs connected through the heart center, along with a "blood deficiency. I am taking chinese herbs to try and fix this imbalance. Its hard to re-iterate his explanation without messing it up....and especially when i am not as versed in chinese medicine. But i've seen a huge improvement with the headaches taking the herbs, so clearly he is on to something!

To be honest, i actually dont mind the few symptoms i have left....it reminds me that my body needs to be taken care of, needs to rest whenever i can, to continue to be mindful of my nutrition and supplement regimen, and to remember how far i have come in the past 10 months. It is also a reminder of the importance of positive thinking, the power of healing touch, and the courage and perseverence it takes to deal with adversity and illness. Hopefully i can be an inspiration for my patients dealing with chronic pain.
Since this thread, I have read that some experts believe that PCS is caused by damage to some part of the brain involved in the endocrine system; pineal gland pituitary gland, hypothalamus or thalamus because so many of the symptoms are similar. In fact, one symptom listed from such damage is if a woman's periods stop.

Just thought you might like to look into it, ask about it, and possibly get some tests done along these lines. Different medications can help ease this kind of damage and who knows... there might be other symptoms or issues that might come up if that's the case that you'll want to watch out for.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote