View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 01:32 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Ah, I'm sorry guys! You've all given such wonderful advice that I haven't had a chance to reply to. In January, I started job-hunting more aggressively. So, I was distracted with resume workshops and job interviews. That added onto the usual drama with my niece meant less time for things online.

Anyway, a lot has happened since 2012 started. The big thing, though: my niece moved to Texas to live with her mother and sister a few weeks ago. Things were going okay for a while, but the other day, I discovered she took my iPod and camera with her when she left. The other things she stole were small- a shirt, some of my food- I'm used to that. But now she's taken something I can't afford to replace, at least not until I get a job. We called her mother and described both things to her, she found the camera right away, but the iPod's still missing. I'm assuming she gave my niece a speaking to because about 20 minutes later my niece called us back to yell at my mother (we've never been particularly close, she'll lash out at my mother when she's made at me.) My mother told me she said something along the lines of "I can't believe you told on me" before my mother got in an argument with her. Nothing about how she stole something; in fact, she insisted she got the camera from a friend, although the friend's name changed each time she told the story.

What frustrates me more than the stealing (which makes me feel angry and betrayed all on its own) is the lying about it. I think that's the main reason why I felt so angry when she lived with us. It was that she'd do these things, lie, and then act like we're the enemy for being mad at her and punishing her. She spun things so that she was always the victim like that. I guess it's a good thing my niece isn't here when I'm this angry, but I don't feel much better. When I get furious like this, I feel physically drained.

From what I know, she's still on the Concerta and Abilify regimen. She's also taken to stealing from her older sister. I know it must frustrate her as much as it frustrated me. I do wonder if my niece has something else on top of BP, since I haven't read anything that suggest stealing is a symptom of BP. We never got a chance to discuss it in therapy, and I don't think they've found a new therapist in Texas yet. She was diagnosed with ODD at one point, but I don't know if she is still being treated for that.

Last edited by gesturepen; 03-17-2012 at 03:10 AM.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (03-24-2012)