Thread: please help me
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 01:07 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dear Sue:

Not many out there willing to look out for their elders. A dying tradition.

What is good is his doctor said "everything looks okay". The meds you mention I too are on and have been on, yes they cause problems with blood pressure and dizziness.

If he uses a cane, or a walker I would encourage that use right now.

Encourage the fluids because the meds take a while to get out of your system and a person should be well hydrated while on pain medications. If he cannot drink 8 glasses of water a day then herbal teas can work wonders. Chamomile is very calming, Raspberry is good for overall pain in the midsection of the body and so is red clover, you can sweeten them with honey for the B vitamins.

Ice or heat packs are helpful for numbing the pain. I keep a huge ice pack in my freezer (one people usually use in ice chests) only because the cold lasts much longer than the gel packs.....that is important if you have trouble getting around. The ten minutes on - ten minutes off rule applies.

Get pillows to brace his lower back especially in bed and encourage stretching. You can find some good exercises on www.chirogeek.com.

Aspercreme is also a good rub - if he has sensitive skin I would stay away from the funky smelling heating rubs.

If his pain persists then I would talk to his doctor about a tens unit.

Check out the other site like Bobbi said above and I want to wish you good luck.
Life is a series of mountains and valleys, some days we travel up the mountain effortlessly, some days we fall into the valley - what's important is.....we get up and climb that mountain again ~Quote by Julia Diemientieff, my Grandmother....Yup'ik Elder from Bethel, Alaska
AK Kid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote