View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 04:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Help How do you discipline a bipolar teen?

My daughter is 14 and newly diagnosed bipolar. She had been diagnosed with MDD 2 yrs ago, but her recent explosive behavior began appearing within the past 6 months. I have had difficulty disciplining her the past 3 years, but recently it has become impossible. In her mind, rules are not made for her and she can do as she pleases. She has even gotten in trouble with the law.

I am at a loss. Rules are constantly broken, chores are never done, boundaries and limits are always overstepped. Taking away privileges and grounding no longer helps. I have even spent many hours talking with her and trying to listen to her suggestions. At this point, nothing helps.

We are working closely with her psychiatrist, adjusting medications and trying to find the right combination. She also sees a counselor weekly and that seems to be going well. She has been hospitalized in an acute care psychiatric facility and once in a long term treatment facilty in the past 18 months.

Does anyone have any suggestions? My goal is to help her become responsibile and learn how to make good choices. I feel that helping her learn from her mistakes is most beneficial, however I am now having difficulty just getting through to her. How do you keep them safe when you can't be with them every minute of the day?
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (03-24-2012), waves (03-19-2012)