View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 01:31 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hi,

In most states the ERs only admit due to 1) danger to self, or 2) danger to others. A few have a third criterion: 3) unable to care for self.

I found my amazing psychiatrist through the medical school in my city. I called and made an appointment. He was brilliant and he took good care of me.
Outpatient sounds like a good idea. You have to get that set up through a psychiatrist or a hospital. Check your insurance. Policies vary as to what is covered and how the outpatient program effects the number of visits she is allowed for the year.

Quote:
although we're trying to get in with a new integrative psychiatrist and maybe they'll know which tests to definitely get which will show us what might be going on.
That is a good plan.

Quote:
she's been kicking herself that she didn't tell them what she should have because she really wanted to get IN somewhere and start feeling better.
Stretching the truth to get admitted is only good short term. She is doing a good job now of being clear and honest about what is going on and will get a good psychiatrist who is right for her.

Quote:
I called her psych and her pediatrician to see if there's any way we can work out maybe a direct admit, but no one has called me.
I really hope that you get a call back from those folks Monday. If you do not, call them and push them some more.

If it helps, some teenagers sort of "out grow" these diagnoses. Or at least as they get older they learn to handle the diagnosis. She is lucky to have you close with her during this time.

M
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (03-24-2012)