Thread: wife has RSD
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 08:40 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am so very sorry to hear what you and your wife are going through. I don't know anything about her situation or what treatments have been tried...but you need to help support her and help her to realize that she is not alone (even though it can feel that way sometimes) and that there is hope for her. There are a lot of different treatments out there: meds, blocks, physical therapy, ketamine, tDCS, etc. First step is to find a good doctor...one who is compassionate and who your wife trusts and honestly believes will do everything they can to help her. Also very important is to work with a physical therapist...again...someone she trusts and feels comfortable with who will work WITH her to achieve her goals. So many of us with RSD have ended up with crummy doctors and/or physical therapists and they just make you feel like there is not hope because nothing works. Getting the right doctor/physical therapist can make all the difference in the world.

Now...for you...all I can tell you is that even though you want to do more that just by being there and supporting her...you are helping. I live with my boyfriend and don't have any family near by anymore (though his family has been wonderful). Now...this may sounds strange...but honestly the thing that he does that has been the greatest help to me is that throughout EVERYTHING he just treats me normal. He does not treat me like I am broken...even when he had to wheel my butt around in a wheelchair. He just did the things that he knew I couldn't do...but he never made a big deal about it. When we talked, it was just like we always did. He wasn't scared to talk to me because he knew I was suffering and he didn't constantly ask if I was okay and call attention to the pain. This...believe it or not...helped me take my mind off the pain. It was the one, very small, bit of normalcy in the middle of a situation where I felt anythign BUT normal.

When I was doing my physical therapy and learning to walk right, etc, he would remind me to walk normal...never anything more than that and never too forceful...just that reminder to not walk bent over or not to limp, etc. He was supportive during every doctor's appointment, knew everything that was going on, would help me with whatever I needed...but our relationship did not revolve around my RSD and he still treated me and acted around me just like he always did. And that helped me a lot. For me at least...I needed to know that I had things in my life worth fighting for. Your whole perception of life and everything changes when you have to live with RSD pain...all day every day. If you don't have those touchpoints in your life...the things that remind you what you need to fight for...it's easy to lose sight of it and just give up and give in to the idea that your life is over.

I'm sure it's not the same for everyone...but this has been my experience and what has helped me. I know you want to do more...but you cannot fix her. You can just be there for her, support her while she goes through this, and keep trying to remind her that she has to keep fighting...that there are things worth fighting for.

This is a great place to find information and support for people with RSD. There are other members who are on here because their loved ones have RSD and hopefully they will pop in and give you some advice from their own experience as I am sure it looks different from that side of things than it does from our end for those of us with RSD. Feel free to ask any questions or even just to vent. We're here for you.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote