View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 04:49 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Newbie (and Oldie as well)

Hi, my name is Nigel (nigelin on the forum), a Scot that has lived and worked in Madrid, Spain for 54 years and is fully bilingual English-Spanish. I am now 85 and still very active, in good general health and enjoy the company of our children and grandchildren and friends, who all live fairly close.

I must have had essential tremor (ET) for many years as I have always had almost illegible handwriting and had great difficulty as an engineering student passing exams in technical drawing. My father also had a tremor, and although it was not diagnosed as ET, it probably was. Although considered for electrode brain stimulation, after careful examination of a tomographic brain scan, the neurosurgeons told me that I was too old for the procedure, which was a disappointment. I also have a nephew and a niece in London, aged about 55, both with ET, and a grand-nephew aged 20, who also has it, so I was very interested to come across to an ongoing, and so far successful, development of a completely non-invasive treatment for ET. I will paste the link below, in case anyone is interested. Although the tremor is nuisance and I can no longer write, I doubt whether the procedure will be developed in time to be of any benefit to me.

I haven't been allowed to show the link. Can anyone tell me how to get it to you?

I also mention that I have idiopathic peripheral polyneuropathy (PN), that has developed over 20 years or so. I do not suffer much pain at all, but considerable lack of balance, which to me is more debilitating than ET, as I now need to use a walker outside the house and, what is worse, it keeps me from Scottish Dancing! My neurologist - a good one I think - has given up on me on this score, so that if anyone can point me to any new developments in this field I would be very grateful.
Nigelin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote