View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 08:52 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsGirl View Post
Personally for me I don't push it too far past about a 6-7 on the pain scale. I push through some pain but if you go much further you have to "get ahead of the pain" with medication which is HARD to do with crps. Doing something (desensitization) is better than doing nothing, but letting the pain get too out of control can cause severe muscle spasms, swelling, things that the body will do in response to such severe pain and then, you end up being unable to do anything.
I have noticed muscle spasms starting too. I really appreciate everyone's input. There is so much information being thrown my way, but hearing it from people that deal with it daily makes wayyyy more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catra121 View Post
Everyone is different so what has worked for me doesn't work for everyoen...but I think of it this way. There is nothing physically wrong with my ankle (and other RSD areas). So walking on it will not make it worse. I am not "reinjuring" the ankle by walking on it even though there is pain. It is my nervous system that is damaged, not my ankle.
That is funny because this is exactly the way I have been thinking about it. Almost as a mental game and asking myself "how can I trick my nerves?". I'm very big into medical research, always have been, and I was reading this week on how much of a mental deal CRPS is. It made a lot of sense because it talked about how your so exhausted at the end of the day because you are trying to create the mental block and when you have trouble sleeping it is because your mind starts to relax, getting rid of the block on the pain.

All my doctors are stressing therapy a lot. I have a therapy bag at home that I have put together so when I sit down to watch TV I just grab it a do a few things. I guess I need to be more consistant. I know my family will help with that.

My 13 year old is very interested in my "zombie foot" and the different colors and shapes it changes to. Last night I was talking to my husband about dealing with this forever and my son said "you have this forever?!?!". That was a little heartbreaking to see his reaction. I guess I never explained that part to him
jennq78 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote