View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 10:48 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Fibromyalgia and Essential Tremor

I found your post while searching for any information stating or indicating any link between an "Essential Tremor" and "Fibromyalgia".

I was diagnosed with an Essential Tremor about 26 years ago. This tremor effects my head primarily with hands affected to a minor degree. I found the doctors diagnosis at the time as unaccepted and told him it was not essential to me. But on the more serious side, this is an issue that has caused me numerous problems throughout most of my life. This tremor I had when I was a child but it progressively worsened until I sought medical diagnosis of the issue.

Over the years I have damaged my back a number of times. I had to have a lumbar fusion several years ago. Prior to this operation, I had unexplained pains in most of the major muscle groups. I had been treating it with heating pads and topical creams. After the back surgery there occurred a noticeable increase in the frequency and intensity of these muscle pains. This led to increased use of heating pads, a change to maximum strength topical creams, and addition of massaging pads. This enabled me to continue working, as the pain level was reduced to a bearable level.

I later had to have a hernia operation. Following this operation, there was another increase in the pain level and frequency of the pains. At this time, the self medicated and home remedies no longer sufficed. I then saw a doctor who eventually (after about 5 months) diagnosed me with fibromyalgia.

I was given cymbalta initially, which caused cramping of the hands and the throat. This was, needless to say, unacceptable side affects. I was changed to Amitriptyline which caused me to develop a sever speech impediment. I was finally placed on Lyrica which helps to bring the pain to a tolerable level.

The symptoms I have are:
Pain and fatigue within all the major muscle groups.
Stiffness throughout the body in the AM
Swelling of the extremeties
I also get the creaking of the neck during movement of the head, but this is something that I have suffered for over 20 years.
I do get popping of the all the joints in the neck when I move my head, and this occurs up to 30 times a day.
I developed Restless leg syndrome, Irritable bowel syndrome, and several other possible issues which I have as yet to see my doctor about.
I have pain in all the joints of the body.
I have some balance issues (possibly it would have been worse if it were not for my background in martial arts)
I have a slight shuffling gait and tend to trip a lot
The knees and ankles "give out" on me at times leading to he need for a cane or other assistive device.
I have numerous migraine headaches and very frequent tension headaches.

This concludes those symptoms I can call to mind at the moment. Some of these symtoms are due to the degenerative disc disease of the entire spine, both shoulders having torn rotator cuffs, arthritis, and a general abuse of the human body through extreme physical labor and sports over the years.

I have heard that it is believed that Fibromyalgia is a neurological disorder. I am curious to know if it can be caused by another neurological disorder such as a Benign Essential Tremor.

Thanks to those who take the the time to read my long, rambling, and probably off topic entry.
tjautry1776 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote