View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 06:17 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile NUCCA, Vestibular & Active Release Therapies

Currently, I am doing all three of these therapies. I added one at a time with the latest addition being my first NUCCA adjustment today. I am cautiously optimistic that I will see some improvement from the combination of these therapies.

I thought I would give a brief description of my experience with these therapies thus far.

Vestibular:

- 1st appt was full assessment with therapist and 1st treatment.

- She placed dark goggles on me with a camera that showed my eye on a television screen, but completely blacked out my vision. This allowed her to watch my eye jump and bounce as my brain tried to make sense of the positions she was putting me in.

- Diagnosed with BPPV (basically it's a displacement of crystals/debris within the inner ear which then sends incorrect information to the brain about one's head position).

- Treatment - ongoing - consists of therapist putting goggles on me again and manipulating me/my head into various positions to use gravity to move the crystals/debris back to where it should be.

- Home Exercises - ongoing - some is added at each appointment. Currently consists of balance and eye-tracking (that's my term for it). Balance exercises now include me walking down a hall turning my head from one side to the other (this is the most difficult for me), walking backwards, one foot in front of other. Also 1/4 turns while standing beside counter.

- Effects - at first, I was very very dizzy and nauseated from the treatment, but it did settle down and it seems the crystal/debris issue is under control. The exercises are intended to desensitize my brain so that it accepts the neurological damage as "normal". I am finding myself less dizzy and my congnative state is noticeably improved. The theory is that there is less stress on my brain from dizziness.

Active Release Therapy:

- Performed by my regular Chiropractor who never adjusts my neck by the way

- I have done this off and on for years. I have always had headaches going back to my early teen years because of my first head & neck trauma.

- ART has always been the best treatment for my excruciating headaches and I suspect has lessened my migrains as well

- ART was amazing for me when I was still playing soccer - cured of long time lower back and leg pain that became quite a bit worse when I started to play soccer.

NUCCA:

- Performed by a NUCCA certified Chiropractor who was recommended to me by my regular Chiro (don't you just love it when they are helpful rather than in competition with one another!!!!)

- Very impressed. 1st appt was 1.5 hr long yesterday. Throrough medical history taken, lots of posture measurements and X-rays.

- 2nd appointment today, Xray results and my first adjustment then more Xrays to confirm that it worked.

- Adjustment involves zero cracking. Very light pressure that to me felt almost like light massage pressure to area just behind lower part of right ear (lying on my side with head on a head-rest that was elevated).

- Wasn't just a quick press and done kind of thing, it probably took about 5 minutes for the whole adjustment. It's clearly as much art as it is science.

- Upon rising for my post-adjustment posture measurements, I noticed I did not have the throbing in my head as usual when I rise up. Then, when Dr. S told me to close eyes and turn my head right then left, I couldn't believe it! NO Pain in my neck! That hasn't happened in about 20 years!

- My headache has returned in various areas and my back is getting a little stiff now. Dr. warned me that this would likely happen as my muscles adjust to the new alignment. Neck pain is still gone!

Next appt is day after tomorrow to see if the adjustment held and if not, I will have another adjustment. This will be a weekly appointment to confirm if it's holding and adjust as necessary. More info can be found online if you search on NUCCA - various videos are available on youtube as well.

So far - I'm very impressed! Will probably know more about long term results in 4-6 weeks.

Wellness to all of you,

X-Soccergal
Female, 44 years old. Several concussions over the years - the first was most severe (kicked by horse), recovered well. Last 2 concussions Oct, 2009 and were two weeks apart. I attempted to return to working 12 hrs/wk (working from home), but was unsuccessful. Currently applying for medical disability.

Primary Symptoms: dizziness, light & sound sensitivity, confusion, difficulty focusing attention, headaches, depression, exteme fatigue, some insomnia and occassional speach problems - stammer, halted speach as I try to find the word or thought and using incorrect words. Trouble focusing on conversation if there is other noise around - especially other conversations.

Soccergal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (03-21-2012), Jomar (03-20-2012), postconcussion (04-04-2012), Sandwalker (04-16-2012), SpaceCadet (03-20-2012)