Thread: Vimpat
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 01:01 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo2 View Post
I am sorry to hear you are still having seizures after your surgery. I had surgery 12 years ago and still take one med. I also took Tegretol for many years, and it did not stop them. So after surgery. my Epileptologist changed me from Tegretol to Keppra and Lamical which kept me seizure free. I later on my own stopped one med because of cost and stayed with the Keppra. I still take it. The only seizure activity I ever had on Keppra after surgery was a rare aura. No one decreased my meds in the years after surgery, but my present doc suggested it. I am down to half my 2,000 of Keppra and have not even had an aura since I decreased it. I may try to go further. I feel happier too. If I did not have a mirror focus on the other side, I should be able to stop meds completely. My point is that because too much meds can also cause seizures, and because you have had surgery, the focus that was there is not there now. The med is acting on healthy tissue possibly and possibly producing seizures as a result. Are you still seeing your Epileptologist? See about getting off the Tegretol. If it did not help you before surgery, I cannot see why it would after, but I can see it possibly causing them now. Plus, it adds such a fogginess and a dulling cloudiness to daily life.
You are on Vimpat which seems to be a very good med and is made by the same company that makes Keppra. No seizures is your goal. I wrote a paper on Vimpat. The most effective dosage is 400mg. The literature said that they saw no more improvement with doses higher than 400. Good luck with the Vimpat and getting your life going again after surgery. I suggest that you get back in school soon to jump start the neurons that have been under in the influence of meds and seizures for a while. Tattoo
I just wanted to say thanks for the info becaus i am currantly on topamax and vimpat. 125 mlg of topamax and 100mlg of vimpat. I am desperately trying to get off the topamax because i've been noticing alot of the symptoms in me. And lately i've been staying to myself crying hysterical, my teeth r decaying, i'm having complete outbursts, - i just cant deal with it.
My doc wants me on it still but i'm researching myself what would be a great combo with the vimpat- without alot of side effects- like the weight again- depression. I'm going nuts.
amieet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote