View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Try this experiment the next time you are riding down the road in a car. Play Slug Bug for a minute or so, just don't slug, just call out, Slug Bug.

Then, watch to see how long in days or weeks it takes to stop noticing VW bugs.

Once the image is indexed in the brain, the brain will notice it unless there are other over-riding images to recognize.

The research shows that it only takes 3 repetitions to start a habit. It takes at least 7 corrections to over-ride the habit. Recognizing the floaters or stars becomes a habit.

As one who wears glasses, I can get stuck noticing a speck on my glasses. It I wipe the speck off, I can usually ignore the many other specks that did not catch my attention. Ignoring the image is a learned behavior.

What is interesting is how these images can start gradually and not be noticed. Then a critical mass is reached, either in count or attention. It takes much more effort to ignore that it takes to notice.

This same ignoring skill is in need when we need to "Stop to Think." The better we get at ignoring thoughts and objects, the easier it is to Stop to Think.

This is likely the most important life skill for the PCS community to learn.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 03-21-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (03-22-2012), SpaceCadet (03-21-2012)