View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 09:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default And then enters the female

Hello guys,
May I join in this conversation? Jim, your story is not uncommon for couples when one has Parkinson's disease. It seems that more and more "couples" are getting together who BOTH have Parkinson's. This is usually after a bad relationship. I suppose no one can understand each other better than those who share this illness.

I have an opinion as to why some relationships turn sour after one is dx with Parkinson's. And this is just from my perspective, having lived with PD for 18 years. This is such a difficult disorder to understand - even those living with the disease have trouble understanding it. One minute you are able to do about anything; the next you can be like an invalid. I am sure that some spouses think their partner is faking it at times.

And our nervous system and emotions are so on edge. I cannot tolerate some things that I had no problem with years ago. I am sometimes snappy because I don't feel well, and I have become so impatient!

People with PD sometimes feel as if we don't fit - we shake or flail our arms and walk "funny." I try not to let it bother me, but I often see people staring when I get excited and almost fall over because of the stimulation. I know that I appear "drunk" at times. In fact two of the national organizations have a Medical Alert card that says: "I am not intoxicated. I have a disease called Parkinson's." then it will give an emergency contact.

Kids are so honest. When I was still teaching, students would ask me why I made such funny faces, or why I walked like I was dizzy.

I know that some of you have wonderful relationships in spite of the differences after diagnosis. I have been married to the same man for 42 years, but it is something we must work at constantly. I get emotional and cry over the silliest things. Many people with PD have depression, which can put a major strain on relationships.

I am sorry you couldn't hold your marriage together, and know that it is NOT your fault! None of us asked for this. I would suggest to anyone to seek counseling as soon as you have a trace of problems with your partner.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
Peggy
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Atma Namaste (03-22-2012), Jim091866 (03-22-2012), toyL (03-22-2012)