View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Lisa (Barrington),

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Sorry to hear of your husbands struggles.

I am not surprised he has such a cluster of symptoms. Has anybody mentioned the term "Multiple Impact Syndrome." ? It is the cluster of symptoms, many prolonged and permanent from the cumulative effect of multiple impacts.

When I read your comment <He has cognitive loss, severe (at times) memory loss more short term then long term memory but both are issues, he struggles to find the correct word and sometimes can't find them at all, ADD type symptoms(unable to concentrate, blurts words thoughts etc out), struggles with some basic math, also a lot of times cant remember the workings of a car engine(was/is a mechanic), can have an in depth conversation with me and 2-5 minutes later not remember speaking to me at all, has stumbled even on my name at this point.> If I did not know better, I would have thought you were talking about me.

We have tried to start threads focused on the needs of spouses and other caregivers. All it takes is for those parties to start contributing to the thread for Caregivers.

A local Brain Injury Support Group (BISG) with a sub-group for spouses and caregivers will be very valuable to you. My wife is dependent on attending our BISG. You state Brain Injury Association will usually have a list of BISG's.

If you can post a PM to me by left clicking on my screen name in the upper left of this post, you can tell me your email address and I can forward it to my wife. She has lots of experience with living with me over the last 32 years. Until you find someone for face time, she can offer some support. She has done this in the past.

Has your hubby had a full NeuroPsychological Assessment done?

Has he applied for Social Security Disability Insurance? It sounds like he would qualify.

How did your husband get so many head injuries?
btw, I notice you call it Closed Head Injury rather than concussion. Is there a reason for that?

Has he received any help at learning work-arounds and coping skills besides the speech therapy you mentioned?

There are lots of ideas and tips for working with memory deficits and other dysfunctions.

Sorry for so many questions but few answers. There are lots of good helpful people here.

What are his greatest struggles?

What questions do you have that we may be able to help you with?

Here is a support group link that may help you. http://www.carondelet.org/home/caron...rt-groups.aspx

The Mild Brain Injury Support Group at Clarondelet meets tomorrow, Thursday at 4:00. Hope you can make it. It appears that Clarondelet has lots of support to offer.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Barrington120 (03-22-2012)