View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 05:15 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Sometimes there is pain where the arthritis is located. Sometimes not. It depends on alot on mechanical factors.
Also some nerve paths vary from person to person genetically.
This is something I learned fairly recently which reading a medical acupuncture site. So if someone has a nerve running close to an inflamed area in a joint, they may have compressive pain from that. I only get mine in the right knee, for example.

In regards to Tinel's sign, I have it in both feet. Hence, I have to tie shoes very carefully over that area, and avoid sandals that hit that area as well. Otherwise my feet will go numb. This I believe is a hold over from my years of untreated hypothyroid.
Thank you so much Mrs. D!
I also remember you have your scar on your front foot that contributes to your feet discomfort.

When you wrote: "....hold over from years of untreated hypothyroid", what do you mean by that? Does it mean that you were not diagnosed, therefore, did not take medicine; or, you were taking medicine but did not find the appropriate brand/dosage that works for you?

How long was the "over the years of untreated hypo" for you? I had my total thyroidectomy in 2007. It took 8-9 months to stabilize my thyroid function. It was at .75mcg/Synthroid that i got it stabilized. I dont know what happened in between because I seldom get my thyroid function tested until May 2010 which was abnormal, then June 2010 - normal, then November 2011 - abnormal - till my last test of March 3, 2011 which was hyperactive. When I asked the neurologist if the hypothyroidism may be the cause of the neuropathy, he answered me that when a hypothyroidism is the cause, once its treated, the neuropathy symptoms should improve. My symptoms are not improving, and I think, its getting worse, specially in my feet.

Thank you Mrs. D for "listening" to my woes.
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote