Thread: Exercise for PN
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 05:44 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I move my feet all day long and when in bed too.

Drives hubby crazy in fact. I think the movement helps keep things working.

Too much and there can be pain however. I had a very bad experience with one resistance machine at the gym...the one with the foot base plate you move against to strengthen the calves.(it is sort of like the antique sewing machines that were made before electricity, they were foot pedal driven). I had foot pain for 2 weeks after that one 15 minute session!

I found that elliptical machines were easier on my feet than the treadmill.

So just be careful and take it slowly, and wear shoes that do not compress the tops of your feet. That is where most of the nerves to the toes are, and tying too tightly can make your feet go numb, when exercising.

I used to walk 5 miles a day before my diagnosis of neuropathy. When I asked my first neurologist what activities/exercises will avoid future damage in my nerves and preserve all the healthy ones. He told me emphatically that there is no activities nor exercise that can damage the nerves. Is t his true?

When I can, I walk very briefly - like 800 steps (I count my steps now because I am wearing a pedometer). I do the stationary bicycle for 30 mins. I put soft paddings on the pedals to (at least) reduce the pain. Its walking and standing that I cannot tolerate - maybe its because putting the weight on the feet makes it untolerable.

Thank you.
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote