View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 02:15 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default occipital neuralgia

I tried dozens of medications before I found one that gave good results and had a minimum side-effect profile. I'm currently on Cymbalta 60mg once a day, and this has really reduced the sharp pain attacks.

Since you had a good response to the nerve block, you may be a candidate for a nerve stimulator. You may also want to consider ablative techniques, though they pose the risk of causing traumatic neuroma to occur, with a good chance that you'll be in ever greater pain.

So talk to your doctor and see what your options are. You certainly haven't exhausted your medication options, so that would be a good place to start. Some meds to consider include Tegretol, Trileptal, Neurontin, Effexor, Cymbalta, Klonopin, Elavil, Pamelor, Prozac, Lyrica, and Keppra. Finally, I highly recommend talking to a Pain Management physician in a Pain Clinc setting, preferably a clinic associated with a major university or teaching hospital.

I wish you well. Occipital Neuralgia can be difficult to treat, but some medication or therapy ought to be able to offer you some relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avri View Post
hello'i am 22 years old,i have been diagnosed with o/n about a year ago.
(pain moves from back of the head to about above the eyes,intolerence to florecent or natural light,all the triger points add up)
i have tried anything, and i do mean anything
i have tried at least 5 types of pills(and hade acute allergical response to all of them[stridor,and cheastpain that wont go away since the first time], occipital nerve block injaction (that worked out well for about a day and then the pain got even worse)
i have no rest (im also insomniac but thats out of the point[allergic to my own sleep hormone)

is there any other treathment?
JVerive is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote