Thread: Concussions
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 08:47 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I was in an auto accident about 20 months ago and sustained a concussion from it. Unfortunately, I experienced a rare side effect from the concussion called increased intracranial pressure, iicp, that caused me to be in such severe pain that I was on almost 6 months of bed rest while the Dr.'s tried to figure out what was wrong with me. They finally figured it out... but in that time almost all of my muscles atrophied.

Before the accident I was a very active person and I still feel just awful that I have to rest so much. And I intensely dislike I gained a lot of weight. (None of my nice clothes fit.)

I still do not have the level of cognitive functioning that I had before the accident and my speech is really weird to boot.

But I know that once I'm finally able to be more active my body will snap back into shape. That's the way muscle tone works, our muscles remember what shape they were in and can more easily get there again and faster if they were once there before.

I am unable to take walks still... but I want to! Actually, more than anything, I feel like I want to run on an elliptical. I really miss the endorphins I used to get all the time from being so active!

If you're in school, you're using your brain. Your brain probably needs rest and that's why you might still be experiencing symptoms. It may have something to do with the addition of working out... or it may have just been the natural course of how your brain dealt with the initial trauma. Damaged neurons can send out signals to other neurons to die and that's why some people get worse in the first three months, or don't see any symptoms and then they suddenly show up.

You might want to try to give your brain a rest... like completely - as little stimulation as possible. No studying, no reading, no TV, no music, no company, no driving, etc. for a day or a few days and see if that helps your symptoms go away.

And definitely make sure your Dr. knows about all of your symptoms.

Western medicine has some AMAZING neuseau drugs that can eradicate neuseau completely - I was taking them regularly for months when I had the iicp and they helped a great deal. Your Dr. can prescribe them to you. But your Dr. needs to know about all of your symptoms. I'm not saying you have iicp, it's very rare, but neuseau is one of the symptoms of it as well as other things, so it's always best to keep your Dr. in the know as much as possible.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote