Thread: Concussions
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 11:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Rats! I just typed a long reply, but I may have taken too long and the draft disappeared. I'll keep this one short.

Just wanted to say that I was also very active prior to getting concussed and nausea was by far the very WORST symptom I had in the beginning. It would last almost the entire day, from waking up to going to bed at night. I would say it was the worst in the first 2-3 months. By month 4 it became more sporadic. I am currently around the 7 month mark and I have very little nausea (thank goodness!).

In the early months, I remember being hungry, but the smell and process of eating made the nausea worse. It was absolutely awful! I had to force myself to eat small meals. I tried to make them as nutrient rich as possible, since I wasn't eating a whole lot at that time.

You might want to try ginger tea too. I tried it, but not sure if it helped me much. I feel like time was the biggest healer.

I understand how you are eager to get back to sports. I was the same way, but soon realized after a couple of setbacks that I couldn't rush my brain to heal. Rest is very important and I would recommend getting as much of it as you can. If you can tolerate light walking without triggering symptoms, you could try that. I rode a stationary bike a bit, it's just important to remember to keep the pace slow and the resistance low. I messed up a couple times during my recovery and pushed myself too hard. It always resulted in an increase in symptoms. You are young, so you have many years ahead of you to be active. Best to get your brain healthy first by taking things slowly. I feel like I'm finally getting back to my old self (after 7 long months), working out again, skating, and finally returned to a total body conditioning class I used to go to prior to the injury. I'm not back to pre-injury fitness level at all, but trying to get there. It just takes time! Hope this helps!
43 yr young female, suffered a mTBI with PCS August 2011 while playing ice hockey. Symptoms included dizziness, nausea, exertion headaches, trouble sleeping, fasciculations, sensitivity to light and noise, occasional numbness to extremities.
Lagr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EsthersDoll (03-23-2012)