View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 12:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
The reason for this may be that Lyrica is now a controlled substance, whereas gabapentin is not.

I don't understand this either, as quitting Lyrica cold-turkey can definitely cause withdrawal symptoms, including seizures in some people. This is clearly stated on the Lyrica website, NIH/Medline, and anyplace you Google: Lyrica withdrawal

Typically, the weaning-off process takes about a week, so hopefully you're past the worst of it.

The other thing I don't understand is why you haven't contacted your doctor directly, and why he hasn't advised/prescribed you help for getting through it, especially in light of his comments.

Doc
I am going to throw in my two cents. Twice, my Part D provider refused to pay for my Lyrica and I am on a small dose which is part of a pain cocktail. Both times, it took six weeks to get the dispute settled and I was in full blown withdrawl the entire time. For several years, we had a major problem with kids using Lyrica as a weekend party drug as it can cause some real loopy side effects for many when first start it. Around here, the kids called it the Big L. If only for that reason, I always thought it should be a schedule II.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote