View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 02:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Headache: Need advice

First of all I want to say hi to everybody as this is my first post. I have had a vp shunt since I was 3 months old and had a complete replacement in 2000 when I was 8, due to scar tissue forming on the coil of tubing in my abdomen. So, it's been 12 years since anything has been done to it. It has also been about 2 years since I've had a CT scan to check on it.

Another thing that might be important is that when I was 8, I was in the hospital for 7 days after the surgery. They said it was longer than normal.

Now that you know the background, I have a question about the current state of my shunt. About 2 weeks ago I unexpectedly felt nauseous and vomited. Afterwards I felt fine, but was not hungry for the rest of the day. Last week I skipped a few meals because I had absolutely no appetite. Since Monday I have felt nauseous most of the time and have had very little to eat for fear it could just come back up. Plus, I just haven't been that hungry. Starting around Tuesday evening I got the familiar headache I had when I was 8. It hasn't been too overwhelming, and sort of gets worse and better during the day. It's mostly pressure around the incision on the top right side of my head. Also, the the tube in my neck feels as if it is stretching. Not sure how well I explained that but I hope you get the idea.

So, my question is: what do you think I should do about it?

Also, I am in college far away from home so I am not sure who to contact if I have a problem.

Thanks!
wazzy34 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote