View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 01:43 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I agree with LL that I think it's possible/probable that the SSA goes a little slow in the approval process trying to weed out those who hoped for a quick easy approval to get some money even if they weren't totally disabled......ie, someone with a medical condition who was working, but got laid off, so they figure they'll try for SSDI instead of aggressively looking for another job. There are people who do that ! If they give up because SSDI takes too long and they find another job because they couldn't wait for the money, then they weren't totally disabled. Stalling a few months isn't totally unreasonable......the process taking years for many of us is a different story alltogether. Those of us who are totally disabled can get financially devastated while waiting. That stinks !

I do think it's important to remember our own personal responsibility in this process though. None of us asked or wanted to be disabled. Many of us COULD have made better financial plans though. I'm guilty of not having the 'emergency fund' of at least 6 months living expenses in an accessible savings account (like all financial planners recommed). I'm left wondering what a few less trips to Disney and adding that money to an IRA could have added up to that could help me now. Some issues are not the SSA's fault.

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote