Thread: sympathectomy?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 03:49 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus777 View Post
Hi everybody,
I am new to the boards. I was wondering if anybody knows anything about sympathectomy surgey. I had been suffering from thoracic outlet syndrome with brachial plexus injury for 15 years. I have been diagnosed with RSD for the past two years. I had tried a SCS, nerve blocks, pt, ot and now my pm dr says I should consider sympathectomy surgery. Has anyone had this surgery or have information about it? Or any other ideas. I am about to lose my mind . I am a teacher, but i haven' t been working much lately. The pain makes me vomit. I take meds but they don't help much. I feel useless. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Lupus
Lupus,

I have been told and read this procedure can be very risky.
I have had a very small sympathecomy and neuroma finding done at the same time. My surgeon did not want to do it, I quote my PM doctor at the time. "I had to beg him to do it". My PM doctor was going in looking for a neuroma so they did a slight sympathecomy at the same time. Honestly it made me worse, I should of listened to him and to this day I still have pain in that area. The neuroma was never found either so it was a compete waste.

I see you live in NJ, me too. You also stated that you have TOS and a brachial plexus injury. After my injury it took me a few doctors to find the correct ones. The doctors who got my arm back, which I almost lost complete functioning, are from the Hospital For Special Surgery, Upper East Side 70th and York, NYC. They have a new Brachial Plexus and Nerve Trauma Center. The doctors affiliated with this center are the best of the best, two of mine are part of this new department. If you can manage it I would go straight there to get an opinion.

Wishing you the best. Here is there website www.hss.edu.

Gabbycakes

Last edited by gabbycakes; 03-24-2012 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Added wedsite.
gabbycakes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (03-24-2012), Lupus777 (03-24-2012)