Old 03-24-2012, 04:45 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala77 View Post
I planted Gazanias this year mrsD. I only hope mine look as good as your's do next year... and the year after.
There are several varieties. Some with "frosted"foliage. The frosted ones are called Talent, and while they have bigger blooms they are not as vigorous as the others with green leaves.

This is a photo of the basic types. I do them in these pots and take up north to put on the rocky shore where most of the sun is. They tend to bloom more when the rocks reflect heat of the day. If on the dock, they don't bloom well in the containers.
They will tolerate cool temps but stop blooming.

This photo is from the first season I tried these. They are heavy feeders and like extra phosphate and will make more flowers if encouraged this way. Full sun, and they close up at night. I pinch off the dead blooms every few days or so. The blooms will last for a few days before wilting down. They do not grow tall, and are best close up and not across a yard. You can't really see them at a distance well. But they will survive cooler temps. in fall. Freezing weather kills them, however.

I like them, because they have a semi wildflower quality and don't mildew in moist weather (a problem upNorth), and can tolerate cooler days. I think they look best in containers. They love the rocks too where I put the containers. So I think their roots like the heat. I believe they come from desert type places in S. Africa.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 03-12-2013 at 04:42 AM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (03-24-2012)