View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 11:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi Barbara

If you truly do have "idiopathic" pn, you have lots of company here. But remember, idiopathic only means the cause is unknown at this time, not that there is not cause.

But before talking about "idiopathic" pn, it's important that you have loads and loads of vials of blood drawn to get all the applicable tests I've posted on www.lizajane.org. To know which tests are really important, you have to know a bit about the type of neuropathy you have.

I'm going to guess you have sensory neuropathy. So, look at all the tests labeled sensory neuropathy. There are a lot of antibody tests, and some genetic tests, which should be done, for thoroughness.

I don't know how old you are, but idiopathic usualyl starts in the late 60s. There are many of us younger than that here, and it's my guess that we have something a tad different, cause unknown. Maybe we had a toxic exposure way back, or had autoimmune reaction to nerve during an virus, or something else that attacked the nerves. Maybe the cause of the problem is gone, so the nerves can heal.

I think a lot of us idiopathic folk have greatly improved wtih good diet, supplements and exercise.

Pain medications can be problemmatic unless really needed. They can sedate you and make you sedentary, which is the greatest risk of all. It's important to stay active and keep sending signals to the nerves to work. Peripheral nerves do regrow, so they need stimulation. I have no opposition to pain treatment when the pain interferes with activiites, but if the pain just interferes wtih comfort and not functioning, you might be better off without it.

Alternatively, a good night's sleep is a key to healing. If you have pain at night, you might find that a medication like Klonopin, which calms the nerves, or Lyrica, would help you fall asleep. In fact, the lighter sleeping pills can help also. Anything that gets to a good night's sleep is great.

I myself am taking Klonopin at night. My doc suggested I try Lyrica, so right now I'm on a lower amount of Klonopin and a bit of lyrica. It makes me much more comfortable.

Please stick with the research and learning part. Take charge of your own care. Youll get a lot of help with that here.

Good luck.

--- LYME neuropathy diagnosed in 2009; considered "idiopathic" neuropathy 1996 - 2009
---s/p laminectomy and fusion L3/4/5 Feb 2006 for a synovial spinal cyst
LizaJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote