View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 10:17 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have no trouble expressing myself through texting/posting. That's why it would be hard to believe I struggle with anything at all ...

So what am I supposed to do?

I can't watch TV.

I can't listen to music (one song and I'm done).

I can't talk to people.

I can't go for walks longer than ten minutes.

If I run errands, the next few days my symptoms are not tolerable.

I can't draw.

I can't sit at the house and do nothing because it drives me crazy (anxiety).

The list goes on...I'll stop there. I'm not a big fan of the word "can't". When I say can't, I mean I really just CAN'T do it. My cognitive functioning is always borderline tolerable. Meaning, if I do any of the above things....it pushes me over the limit and that could be bad. Very bad. If I go over my limit (which is small and constantly changing), my brain can shut down. When i mean shut down, I can become disoriented, not be able to think or speak at all and/or confused..I hear about things like this happening to people after a busy day, then they have a bad day and recover in a day or two. It's way different for me. The slightest bit of overstimulation can shut me down for a week or two. Not kidding. One good week that I had last month shut me down this entire month.

If I watch TV, even on a tiny non-hd TV, for more than 5 minutes....It could shut my brain down for the entire day or week.

No over-exaggeration here.

So what CAN I do? Pretty much nothing.

Pure.....torture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Nick,

It is obvious you like to express yourself. Between texting, posting, talking, etc., maybe you are trying too hard to constantly express yourself. Maybe you can try just being quiet. Minimize your communication and need to express yourself.

The common expression for this behavior is schizoid. It is a common symptom of many with PCS. We withdraw from being expressive and become quiet and some would say, loners. I believe this is due to a self protection. We realize our struggles to be expressive and choose to be quiet.

I used to be very talkative. Not so much anymore. I carefully choose when to be talkative. I also am slow to speak so I can get my thought and words together. The word finding problems can become almost overwhelming.

I find it interesting that the younger generations have so much to say. Is there really so much to say, or is it just talk for the sake of a habit of talking? The availability of instant communication may be causing a stress level that is not healthy., especially for those with PCS.

But then, I am brain damaged so I may be wrong.
What happened: I was randomly assaulted from behind in June of 2011. I was knocked unconscious for an unknown amount of time (less than 30 minutes) and have no memory of the event. CT scan showed contusion and hematoma of the left frontal lobe. I spent 3 days in the hospital. Diagnosed with Post-Concussion Syndrome in September 2011. Currently have Medicaid, Medicare and SSI.

Current symptoms: Brain fog, mild memory issues, problems with spontaneity, occasional spacing out, word finding difficulties, tinnitus in right ear and some other things that I can't explain.

Life after the brain injury: 4 years after the injury, I'm engaged to my beautiful girlfriend of 5 years, I'm the CEO of my own business, Notorious Labs, I've taught myself how to program complex games and apps which is a feat I never thought I'd accomplish and now live a semi-normal life with very mild PCS symptoms.

Slowly but surely regaining my life back.
SpaceCadet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote