View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 12:08 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Just jumping in here...my Dylan (G. Retriever) has also destroyed no less than 3 leashes (leather and nylon), any number of squeak toys (he disembowels them) and quite a few other items that I was less than thrilled to see hanging in pieces from his muzzle. How can you be mad when they give you "the look" with those big brown eyes tho?? Anywho, my vet suggested during his teething period (read: large amounts of destruction ) that we give him raw marrow bones to chew on. Well, the local pet store has them and we get the largest available (femur bones) in 4 inch sections.

Since giving him something to chew on, I've no longer come home to destruction and mayhem. Large, meaty raw bones also have quite a few health benefits. If you do a search on BARF (biologically appropriate raw foods), you will find a host of information on the subject of raw bones. I don't feed Dylan a completely raw diet anymore, except when he has gallbladder "attacks", but he loves getting his raw bones and does that cute little tushie wiggle and practically vibrates with pleasure to get rid of some of his energy gnawing on the raw bone for a few hours. I say the agreement works pretty well...he gnaws the bones and his mummy gets to keep her house intact (he gnawed the bottom of a door off at one point).

Theresa
Tbackpain1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote