View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 09:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenntaj View Post
--and would highly recommend a much longer glucose tolerance test, with both glucose and insulin levels determined with each draw, to see the patterns.

Specifically, as Mrs. D says, you would want to know your fasting insulin level, to see if it is relatively high (that may be what is keeping your fasting glucose in a normal range, and it may signal insulin resistance, in which the body has to produce more insulin to keep blood sugar in check). Then, you would want half hour draws until at least 4 hours to watch the pattern of insulin and glucose rises/falls. What often happens in the insulin resistant is that their blood glucose does not rise that much in the first hour and a half or so as the body reacts to the glucose challenge by producing a big spike of insulin--this spike, however, tends to drive glucose levels down below one's fasting level in hours two/three (which may be happening here) until first insulin and then glucose "normalize" in hours three and four.

This pattern of "reactive hypoglycemia" is quite common among the insulin resistant.

Hi Glenntaj,

Thank you for your ideas.
I will have to consider taking a longer glucose tolerance test. However, I showed the copy of the result to my endocrinologist during my visit (the request for the test came from the. Neurologists) and he said everything is normal.

I don't know how to justify to the endocrinologist the additional test.

Assuming I am in the threshold of being a reactive hypoglycemic, can this be corrected with frequent small meal and no medicines?

Thank you.
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote