View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 06:28 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default My diagnosis...any help/support is welcome

[/FONT]My name is Darci, I live in Chicago area...Just to give a short history...way back in 2001, right after my only child was born (I was 33) I was having issues with my arms...like I would be holding my new infant and it was like my arms wouldn't work (like they locked up or something) anyways, after seeing a rhuematologist and going through many many different tests, he diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia....so for the next 9 years I just kind of "blamed" Fibro for my "issues". I started to feel though, that things were not "right" and it just seemed like it was more than Fibro or something different. My arems and legs were giving me A LOT of problems...I had fallen a few times after getting up from sitting...I could not do normal things some times with my arms and legs...I am only 43, and felt like I should not be having issues like I was/am...some times buttons were tough for my hands, most times walking up one set of stairs, I would exhaust about halfway up...I kept thinking, "I know I am out of shape, but this is crazy...I don't weigh 600 lbs, (not even close to 200...I will leave it at that, I am a woman and I weigh between 100 and 199) why is this hard and why am I out of breath??? " I went to another Rhuematologist for another opinion who agreed with the first, Fibro. Well, that was fine for a very short time...I then decided to go to a Neurologist. Was referred to one after going to a walk in clinic, because I needed to do something fast....(WHO WAS A WITCH with a capital B) she was dismissive and didn't believe ANYTHING I was telling her...so I went to my General Doctor (he is a hematologist by practice, but is more a GP) He reffered me to another Neurologist and handed me the name Myasthenia Gravis and said "Once this doctor has run all his tests and thinks he is at the end...if he hasn't run the test to test for Myathenia Gravis, tell him that I want him to run this test." Well, after nerve conduction tests, EMG, CT and MRI of brain, other blood tests....I told the new Neurologist that my GP wanted him to test for MG...he was confused as to why...but did it anyway. I didn't think I had it either (no droopy eye, no facial issues (I thought)...so after all tests come back, the Neurologist (and myself) are in shock...as you know with the test that checks for the antibodies...a 0.5 or below is normal....well my level? or number was over 248 or something...giving me the diagnosis of Myasthenia Gravis. I have not started meds, yet...but will be in the coming weeks - He is talking Mestinon first...but also mentioned the Prednisone and also the surgery...I have a list of questions for him already...but I am a bit nervous and confused and all that....I am now finding some answers to a ton of things from my past...like why the allergist would not do the skin test on me, he kept saying I have not passed the breathing test...and I never understood why I couldn't...I didn't feel like I was REALLY having a BIG PROBLEM breathing...but now I think I know why!!! I just want to check out this site and read more and get as much info as I can....thank you for the opportunity to blab about my stuff....Not sure what is next. My name is Darci, feel free to contact me!!!
Icrad1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote