View Single Post
Old 04-07-2007, 10:54 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Insight

I am 42 now and had a fusion of L5 to S1 at the age of 24. It was done with Steffee Plates and healed very quickly. It also nearly completely eliminated all pain. But to be truthful, it also eliminated my prior ability to enjoy running or to really ever run again (without a great deal of pain). My post surgical life has been for the most part very good. Although I did run into severe pain when I took a "standing" oriented job at age 30 (that quickly debiltated me with pain). So much so I decided to take the plates out (which it had been determined had caused destruction of the next level above at L4 which has now fused on its own to L5...a very long and painful process which I chose over jumping into another fusion). This was likely a result of being a very active (golf and biking) individual. But one has to live... My overall thoughts of these surgies now is that you will trade one problem for another. The intention, however, is to trade the worse problem in for one which is far less of a problem. Point in case, I traded continuous low back pain in for only intermitant pain. This is a very different life than my doctors lead me to believe I'd be living. Two pieces of advice I have for you are (i) once you've identified a problem that you are seriously thinking about having surgery on, WAIT one year. I have done this numerous times and learned that most of time - usually several months later - the problem subsides, and (ii) it is best to avoid surgery if you're only doing it to get rid of pain and have no other neurological issues (unless rule 1 above applies and the pain has simply been unbearable for a year or more. Then, you have no other choice). Oh, and one more thing. You "will" get through this. The body eventually finds equilibriums (and you can continue them by taking care of your self). I find riding a stationery bike for 30-45 minutes not only keeps my body fit, it keeps my mind off occassional pain and frequently pushes me through it. Hope by now your issue has past. Look forward to seeing/hearing a message posted from you on how you're doing.
kjoshi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote