View Single Post
Old 04-07-2007, 11:12 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you for sharing.

I will "share" that the "sticking point" regarding [me] being surgical or not at this point [in my case] is that docs get "hung up" on the amount/degree, of muscle wasting/atrophy, especially of hand intrinsics, oh, and the fixed flexor contractures/deformity of the ulnar innervated fingers.

This concept of "no recovery" of atrophy/muscle wasting [due to nerve dysfunction, not disuse or pain guarding] is embedded in the textbooks that they see day after day in med school.

They [some docs] don't see an "upside" [on me] for example, because they believe that since the likelihood of reversing the most obvious outcome of a BP trauma (softball collision/'97), is, according to their textbooks, 20% or lower, if at all.

So, we may be seen as automatic surgical "failures" right out of the gate, and not many docs these days want to get involved. Do I want a doc doing a BP sugery on me, if they are already thinking I am not going to get better? Nope. Some of us are past the point of being "curable", but it would seem that surgery may still be indicated to preserve nerve/vascular function at one point in time.

Not many docs "see" advanced/extensive wasting/atrophy, etc [in their practice] due to either BP trauma or TOS, regardles of type, because it doesn't usually get that far.

More docs would like to believe that the atrophy/wasting is due to patient disuse/avoidance due to pain, than accept the possibility that this is actually caused by nerve dysfunction [from either vascular compromise, nerve compression, or both].

I am also a [very] delayed dx.
anonymous_no_more is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote