View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 05:53 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I was dx'd in 2003, symptoms since 2000, took lots of meds until Sept 09 when i got off all pd meds, with a struggle.

Last summer I needed to have a hormonal implant that had gone astray in my right upper arm removed. I had two botched attempts to do so in the GP's surgery; in the second he sliced into a vein and i ended up with a rock hard blood clot the size of a golfball in my arm. I abandoned the GP. Then I had to locate a surgeon who would hospitalize me and deal with the problem safely. I had major trouble locating one as i didn't want a general anaesthetic.

Eventually i went to the top plastic surgeon in the country who removed impacted implant and blood clot and tidied things up. He did not want to use a general anaesthetic on an unmedicated pwp, nor a medicated one for that matter. As a plastic surgeon, he is highly skilled at locating nerves so he spent a long time numbing me properly. I didn't feel a thing, unlike the butchery that had gone on with the gp. This surgeon said the main issue is that a general anaesthetic would 'expose' me to to more adrenaline than i could handle and in his opinion adrenaline is the biggest problem pwps face; he referred to it as 'your main problem, y'know'. I got the feeling he disrespects the obsessive focus on the presence or absence of dopamine, abstracted from the broader context of all the neurotransmitters.

This was a complex procedure as the GP had mangled the implant and buried it deeply with his messing around. It was 'like looking for a needle in a haystack'. The clot was also very dodgy. So, I guess it would be worth seeing if you can locate someone who is willing to do the hernia op under local for you. My surgeon may have been exceptional and i already had a lot of confidence in him since he had removed a large tumour off my 3 yr old's face years ago and reconstructed her lip, perfectly.

I've had worse experiences getting my teeth cleaned with numbing at the dentist's.

Best of luck to you.
Muireann is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
kk13 (04-02-2012)