View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 08:32 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default some terms

We have "green tea" - the beverage brewed from a particular type of the tea bush.

Then there is "green tea extract" - a concentrated form produced by some basic processing.

There is EGCG and theanine - two compounds isolated from the tea.

Most of the formal research has been done with EGCG and theanine. A lesser amount has been done with the extract.

Most of the informal (patient-led) work has been done with the two compounds or the tea itself. Looking over this forum and that of PLM, few PWP are taking the extract regularly.

I have been taking the extract now for five days with noticeable improvement in amount of on time, lower limb strength, general energy levels, reduced PD symptoms, reduced medication (from 1800 mg sinemet to 1200 mg. Have had one occassion to awaken in very early AM to find that walking is less of a problem than expected.

The immediate reason for my interest-
1) Research indicates that while extract is neuroprotective, it is also neurorestorative.
2) There are about a half-dozen destructive processes at work in PD (inflammation, mitochondrial failure, oxidation, etc) and this extract addresses most of them.
3) Because the effects of an inflammatory state can be both acute and chronic, minimizing the acute effects should produce quick relief of some symptoms and that is what I seem to be seeing.

Must go but will follow up later today with work of "real" scientists. -Rick
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote