View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 08:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi49 View Post
Poodlemom, I have had two ACDFS; C3/C4 and C5/C6. I was in severe pain every day 24/7 for three years with cervicogenic headaches. No amount or brand of pain meds touched it!! Long story, but once they fused the C3/C4 I woke up...headache free! That was 8 years ago. Now, I still get headaches from time to time because the C2/C3 has facet arthritis. But I will take these over the severity I used to have any day of the week! I had C5/C6 done 6 years ago and yes, it stopped the pain...in my hands. I never did have any pain going down my arms. But my spinal cord was being compressed. Having said all of that, I get injections from time to time. But I can't even remember when I had the last one done in my neck; probably two years ago. For now I am dealing with lumbar/sacral issues. Anyway, long story short, people DO do well. The domino theory is just that. It doesn't always happen that way. I have the C4/C5 wedged between two fusions and it is fine for now. Will it go bad? Maybe, maybe not. Bottom line is...a surgeon does NOT guarantee pain relief. It is an added benefit. Your concern should be neurological deficits. Once that happens, there is no going back. Last but not least, take a look at Peyton Manning. He has had 4 cervical surgeries done; the last one a fusion. He rehabbed hard and long but now is going to play for the Broncos. I think he is nuts personally LOL! But he IS an example that you can recover. And I know plenty of people that have done well. Don't let what we say here scare you. Everyone is an individual and has had different experiences. Talk with a Neurosurgeon; maybe even get two or three opinions. And for the record, it was my SPINAL pain management doctor who got me straightened out BY referring me to a good Neurosurgeon. Good luck and I wish you well.
I have had three open cervical surgeries 1986 1995 & 1996. Once it was truely corrected, I have remained strong and painfree since that time. At this point, I am experiencing some arthritic changes. Keep in mind that I am now 63. My lower lumbar is a disaster after five surgeries that were needed to stablize the spine. The pain increased with each surgery and I can no longer walk due to pain and balance issues. Best wishes.
Spiney95 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote