View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 08:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk13 View Post
Has anyone had a hernia surgery at a time when they were well along the PD path? Any pointers, tips, suggestions?
My biggest concern is the anaesthesier mixing with the 6 or 7 other meds that I need to function.
I would really appreciate some input from this pool of PD knowledge. It would be wonderful to know what to expect and know how to deal with the problems, situations and complications that are unlikely, but possible.
Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this for me.
kk13
Have not had hernia surgery, but my husband did have non malignant tumors removed from the chest. This was after 7 years of meds for Parkinsons. There were no complications, however I learned to be very proactive when it comes to dealing with the medical staff. They tried to give him Reglan, which is usually given to combat the after-effects of anesthesia. This happened on 2 separate occasions. They did not know that Reglan can have devestating effects of tartive dyskenesia on a Parkinsons patient. (I now list Reglan as something he is alergic to, just to prevent this from happening again.) Always ask what medication is being given, and why, especially if it is not one of your regular prescriptions. Also make sure your meds are given on your usual time table, not on the nurses' schedule. Most of them don't realize the importance of taking your meds on a regular schedule.

Jo Ann
JoClay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
kk13 (04-02-2012)