View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 06:34 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I meant to say that all Statins are problematic for PNers, not just Triglyceride meds, but as your experience clearly shows, the triglyceride meds are really dangerous in an obvious way.
I understand being afraid to go off the meds in the case of really high cholesterol numbers and a family history of heart disease. My cholesterol was high, but very secondary to the triglycerides. At my last visit, a few weeks ago ( I see my PCP regularly for my pain meds, there isn't any treatment so my neurologist dropped me), he said my cholesterol was way down into normal range. The only possible explanation is diet and weight loss. I am a dedicated walker, but have been able to do less, not more, because of other commitments especially teaching each day, which was a mistake from a health POV. I come home fit only for a nap.
Dieting, especially with a sluggish metabolism like mine, is really hard, almost impossible, but only almost. Read the discussions about the anti-inflammatory diets. They really work. Only eat the edges of the store- fruits, veggies, meats, and eggs and dairy and go light on the dairy. In fact, take about half of what you would normally eat, especially of prepared or restaurant foods. Bring the other half home for another day. Eating the same food as the rest of the family but a lot less of it has worked for me. Do not believe whole grains are always healthy, go lightly on grains, they are still mostly empty carbs compared to veggies. Most importantly, do not give up because you had a bad eating day, start right back up the next day. One day will not affect your success, but four or five in a row will!
And give the fish oil a real try. Be sure to find one that doesn't make you sick or repeat on you. They are available, but so are some seriously nauseating ones that will send you to the freezer for some ice cream to kill the taste!
Susanne C. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote