Thread: Confused
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 02:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Confused

Hello,
I have been having strange neurological symptoms since November, 2011. It started shortly after I had several viruses/illnesses within a brief time period. I really think the nerve pain/nerve condition is due to genital herpes. I was diagnosed with herpes, HSV 2, in October, 2011. In the same month, I had a bad throat infection, a severe sinus infection, a yeast infection... then in November it seems that my nervous system just went haywire. I had shooting pains in my arms and legs, pins and needles everywhere, pain in my hands and forearms, and in my feet. My arms felt tremulous, and my lips felt numb and tingly. Lyrica seems to have helped with some of that. Now, my left foot hurts worse than the right, but both feet are hurting. The pain comes and goes, and is worse on some days than others. The pain seems to rove around in my feet, hands and forearms. There doesn't seem to be any numbness.

I saw a neurologist who did an MRI of my lower lumber region, and he said everything was normal there. He didn't do a nerve conduction study. He said he thought this was a temporary condition which would improve over several months time. He put me on Lyrica and said to come back in April. I have also started taking Valtrex for herpes suppression. The Lyrica does seem to have helped a little.

I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience after contracting HSV2. I know HSV 2 is related to herpes zoster, which I have read can cause neuralgia. I haven't seen much about HSV 2 and neuralgia or neuropathy.

Also, what doctor would be the best to visit? I'm not sure the neurologist I saw was very thorough.

Thanks very much!
Pablette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote