View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 02:41 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
weight control is very tricky and I don't think anyone has it fully nutted out.
Hi Momo,

I agree with most of what Peter has said about dieting.

Weight control is tricky because different people have different body types/metabolisms, and what works for one individual may not work for another. Variables include (but not limited to) age, sex, ethnic background (and other genetic factors), health/medical conditions....

For example, I'm a carboholic - almost any carbs I consume convert directly to fat, and once I eat something sweet/starchy, I begin to crave more and more, and put on even more weight. I do well on a high protein/good fat diet with almost no carbs whatsoever except for some fresh low-juice fruits & vegetables.

My DW is just the opposite; fats & protiens put weight on her, and she loses by sticking with good carbs like grains. Planning shopping & meals is a real trip for us...

Carbs (that croissant) after working out or late-night (chocolate) probably aren't great. You're eating them after being active, when you're slowing down or sedentary, so instead of burning them off, they can turn directly to fat.

Grocery store eggs aren't really that bad for cholesterol. Free-grazing, corn-fed are usually quite a bit higher. Research/studies aren't conclusive on this point anyway, so unless you definitely have a cholesterol issue, I wouldn't worry about having eggs once or twice a week (but run it by your doctor). Hard-boiled eggs can make a great snack if/when eaten slowly. It's things like egg salad with mayo or other high fat/high carb ingredients (bread) that make them bad.

Time of day and number of meals can be a factor. Some folks do better with a large breakfast, and progressively smaller meals later on. Others do better "grazing" - many small meals/snacks throughout the day. A very few can get by on one meal a day, but that's not a good idea for others.

It helps immensely once you figure out your particular body/metabolism "type" - then you can tailor an effective individual diet plan for you (your body).

You can find more on this ethnicity factor by googling: dieting ethnic background

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote