View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 12:22 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hey Gloria,

I just wanted to satisfy your curiosity as to how you are moved when you're out cold after surgery. There are a few ways to move patients, but most often in the OR/Recovery area they use two items, a draw sheet and a slide board.
Quote:
sliding boards - a smooth board with tapered ends made of either wood or plastic that is used to help someone get from one sitting surface to another. draw/lift sheets - a regular flat sheet placed under a person in bed can be used to move them. If the sheet is strong enough it can also be used to lift and transfer the patient.
If you'd like, I can walk you through the process step by step, but just so you know, no one is tugging on your arms (or they shouldn't be) to move you (they're placed across your chest to prevent them from being smooshed).

In some cases, specialized equipment is used to move morbidly obese patients. 'Hoyer' lifts - a hydraulic lift that consists of a metal frame and a heavy canvas swing. It is capable of lifting and suspending a patient for transfer. This device is used to prevent injury to the patient and staff.

Hope this helps some. I would imagine shoulder injuries would be more likely in cases where the arms are held in surgical slings (such as during C-spine surgery), but are probably not a super common occurence.

Theresa
Tbackpain1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote