View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 02:18 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I sustained a concussion in July '10 in an auto accident. It came with a rare complication that Dr.'s were unable to diagnose for six months and in that time I became much worse instead of any better.

I was unable to work for a little over a year after the initial injury. I couldn't drive regularly for an even longer amount of time.

That was 20 months ago and I'm doing much better than I was. My Dr. believes I will make a very good recovery! But she wasn't even able to tell me that until recently.

Brain injuries are very complex and each one is different. So, each recovery is different too. Experts think that younger people (think 20-something's) are able to recovery from concussions the best and fastest and then people younger than 40 (I think) and people older than that are probably the worst off... but anyone can still make a full recovery! Or anyone in any one of those age groups can be forced to deal with permanent deficits or impairments after just a single concussion. There is really no way to tell - brain injuries can take a long time. I have read that some people have PCS for a long time and then suddenly wake up one day all better!

Maybe your Dr. doesn't want to get you into therapy because he thinks rest will provide you with more benefits at this time.

Many people here have noticed that they actually start to improve once they really started giving their brains serious breaks and stopped pushing too hard to do what they expect them selves to do before their injuries. If you continue to rest and give your brain a vacation from stimulation (TV's, Radios, Reading, etc.) then it might not have to work so hard to heal and you'll make a faster recovery.

A brain that is trying to heal itself takes more energy in order to do so - so anything you do to take away that energy will prolong its healing process.

Cognitive functioning takes energy to maintain. So anytime you start to feel tired or fatigued it's a signal that you're using more energy than your brain wants you to. Reading might make you feel fatigued, or watching TV, or exercising or really anything since almost everything takes our brains' energy to do it.

Try to make sure you eat as healthy food as possible. Allergies, MSG, caffeine and alcohol are not good substances for a healing brain. Neither is stress and anxiety. They all release toxins in the brain that will hinder it from healing faster.

Now I know from personal experience that it's difficult to not stress out when your brain isn't functioning the way you have come to expect it to your entire life. And I know that it's difficult to hope that it will just get better without actively pursuing it - but that's probably the best thing you can do for your brain right now as much as possible.

Make sure you take all your vitamins and minerals, especially a good B-Complex and Omega Oils because those are really important for good brain health. And there are other supplements that you could experiment with as well, and there are a lot of links and thread on this forum to lead you to which ones - just make sure it's ok with your Dr. first.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this; I know how tough it is.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
kkupka (04-02-2012), SpaceCadet (04-02-2012), xxxxcrystalxxxx (04-02-2012)