View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 04:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

If you look for them you will most likely have no trouble at all finding a neurologist or other expert who will tell you that once you have recovered from a concussion you are completely healed and have no more risk of further injury than anyone else. Many of them seem to have this opinion.

However such 'experts' are wrong and are ignoring all the evidence for increased susceptibility following concussion, even after a 'full recovery'. I loved my sport, particularly soccer, but I will never play a contact sport again, my injured brain is just too precious. So is yours.

I think it was put best by Australian Footballer Scott Stevens, a professional sportsman who had been at the top of his game in Australia's biggest sport:-

Quote:
Scans failed to reveal a specific problem with Stevens, leaving Crows medicos puzzled by what they termed post-concussion syndrome.

Stevens told his teammates of his decision to immediately retire on Tuesday morning.

"Concussion is a brain injury, something to be taken very seriously, and it affects your whole quality of life and has ramifications beyond football," Stevens said in a statement.

"To play again, I would have to regain health and fitness and then be prepared that if I suffered another concussion the recovery time would be as long or longer.

"This is something I don't want to go through again."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...#ixzz1qv304m6w

I reckon if he can bear to give up his sport and his living and find safer things to do then so can we. Good luck!

Since recovery I have achieved a Master's degree with distinction in Neurological Occupational Therapy
Klaus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MHBird (04-06-2012)