View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 05:07 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Glad you asked!

It's things like this (not pre-planning for surgery) that can really mess up a symptom-controlled person with Parkinson's (PWP).

I am not a medical professional, but I helped put my two daughters through anesthesia school, and they have both have over 10 years.

First and probably most importantly, if you take an MAO-Inhibitor (Eldepryl/Selegeline, Azilect, to name two used by PWP) you need to stop that medication for 7-14 days (latter preferred)prior to surgery. If you keep taking it, you risk the chance of neuroleptic malignant syndrome, which basically can kill you! It causes autonomic dysregulation, which shoots your blood pressure aky high.

Next of importance is to know that Reglan (Given pre-surgery for nausea and vomitting, and Demerol used for pain, must be on every hospital's protocol books. Make the nurse repeat whatever pill she tries to hand out to you. These two drugs do not mix with anesthesia gases. Refuse to take them.. I have had them flag my chart, I have it stamped all over my chart, and they still try to give them to me.

What I can't understand is why they don't educate everyone about this.
Peggy
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
kk13 (04-02-2012)