View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 10:02 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

In the last few posts that I made, I spoke of Pedaling for Parkinson's at the Y programs. Since then, several programs have started in Florida and Ohio; Seattle started its second round of classes today and programs continue in Michigan. In several states various Ys and other people and facilities that work with PD patients are in the process of starting programs.

i was able to join the Seattle class today and it was heartwarming to watch four new riders and one from the first class easily reach and sustain the 80-90 rpms for 40 minutes. Each person told his or her own story/reason for joining the class. They all had the common theme that they are so pleased to be able to do something themselves to take back their lives. They all commented on the camaraderie that they already felt in the class and how great it was to be with other PD patients who didn't need explanations. I felt wonderful just being with them.

Many of you know that because of Pedaling for Parkinson's I was able to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro last summer. I thought I would never climb another mountain, but this spring we will trek to Annapurna Base Camp in Nepal. As a 66 year old woman with PD, I know that this will be another huge challenge, but having stood at the top of Africa encourages me to think that I can do this too. I am truly in better shape and more physically active than i ever was before PD. I don't mean to imply that everyone can climb high mountains, but I do believe that many of us with PD can do more than we ever thought possible.

I am always concerned when well-meaning people say that if you just try harder, have more faith, or whatever, you can "beat" your neurological disorder or cancer or whatever problem you face. For me and many others fast paced cycling has helped us mitigate the symptoms of PD. There is no guarantee it will work for everyone, but trying it is better than the alternative in my book.
Nan Cyclist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote