Old 04-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by khakis View Post
Hi, I new to this site--hope I can ask this here. I keep seeing places where it talks about folic acid masking b12 deficiency. Does this mean it can alter serum b12 levels? I have ALL the symptoms of B12 deficiency, incl. being a vegetarian and taking metformin for 10 years. My Dr was convinced too but the serum b12 came back ">1000" (High). My folic acid is also high. I do take a multi with both.
The only thing abnormal in my labs was my TSH at 9.45. I have had Hashimoto's 15 years, medicated, but had a bad rise for some reason. I'm praying that's the cause of my terrible nerve pain. A Physiatrist diagnosed as TOS, though we haven't done an EMG or nerve cond study etc. And advice/wisdom appreciated.
I would wonder why your B12 tested high? Do you take vitamins? Eat alot of fortified cereals, like Total?

There are things such as lab errors!

Folate is usually high when B12 is low.

B12 may be elevated when no supplements are taken, from some uncommon disease states:
some blood cancers
dysbiosis of the GI tract (overgrowth of some organisms)
kidney disease (elevated in some patients and not others).

I would have it retested, and also a MMA test added. MMA shows if the B12 is actually working. Some believe it is more accurate.
http://labtestsonline.org/understand...s/mma/tab/test

Homocysteine is useful but often not covered by insurances.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote