View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 08:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Every time I see an article like this ...

I want to bang my head against the wall. 'Cept it would probably be a bad idea since I already have a concussion.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/olympi...mpic-qualifier

Article talks about a "concussion epidemic" that has hit the Canadian women's water polo team. Although there's increasing awareness, it looks like water polo is behind other sports when it comes to dealing with them:

Quote:
Oaten doesn’t doubt that some of his own players would hide their concussion symptoms during this critical period.

“We have a concussion in the next three weeks and we won’t hear about it. I guarantee it, because of what’s on the line,” he said. “The problem is that player’s going to have individual anxiety. They want to play for Canada, they want to go to the Olympics, but the anxiety’s there because there’s so much talk out there and so much uncertainty and the athlete won’t be themselves.”

Alogbo, one of the top five players in the world, is straightforward in saying she would not let a concussion hold her back.

“I think a lot of people would keep playing at that point,” she said. “We’re all smart girls. We’re all smart athletes. But when it’s times to actually play, we don’t think about anything else. If it’s four months before (the tournament), it’s a different perspective.

“But when you’re two weeks before the biggest tournament of your career, you don’t even debate about it, you go with it.”
ConcussedJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote