View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 10:53 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Emme and welcome. I can relate to your story.

On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was traumatic brain injury (TBI) and multiple fractures (pelvis, ribs, skull). Life saving craniotomy was performed that evening at St. Joseph’s hospital in Phoenix. Additional surgeries were to repair open book pelvic fracture, repair collapsed lung, and remove a pulmonary embolism. Total hospital stay was two months, 1 in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

I have retrograde amnesia going four days prior to the accident, and approximately 5 weeks of post traumatic amnesia. Other than that, neuropsychological examination five months post accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident.

Since recovering I have become interested in brain functioning, emotional well being, and memory development, so I was also happy to find these forums. I still deal with periodic depressed moods but for the most part glad to be alive and looking forward to the rest of my life.

Best to you as you continue your recovery journey.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
emme727 (04-05-2012)