View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

There are a couple of things you can try.

First, get a white board for your refrigerator or where-ever you will notice it. have you wife and kids put notes on it. We have two. One is for notes for me. the other is for notes to my wife. If I make a note for her on a piece of paper, I will likely forget to give her the piece of paper. By knowing I have the white board, all notes to her go there. She does the same for me. For a while in January, i was struggling to remember what day it was. She would write it on my white board.

btw, Anybody else have this problem? if I spend a day thinking it is the wrong day, I end up out of sync for the rest of the week or until I have enough reminders to get my brain calendar right.

Research shows that PDA/smart phones can be very useful to people with cognitive/memory struggles. I use the three alarms on my cell phone to remind me of important times. If I have a 11:00 dentist appointment and it takes 15 minutes to get there, I start my alarm at 10:00. This is for me to have time to figure out what is on the white board, Then, I have a reminder at at 10:20 to prepare me to be ready to leave. If I am involved in a task, I know to stop and get started getting ready to leave. Then, at 10:35 or 10:40, the alarm sounds telling me to leave.

It works well for me because otherwise, I will have too much to do last minute before I can leave.

I also put things by the door so I have to step over them before going out. Harder to forget, but I still do sometimes. I get annoyed, Who put that in front of the door?

It helps if your family understands all of your symptoms and limitations. Not necessarily so they pick up the load but so they can direct/remind you without being frustrated.

If you struggle to read, try using paper to hide the text above and below the lines you are trying to read. Your eyes may get overloaded with too many letters and word.

the problem with the PCS brain is it loses its ability to filter out extraneous information. It hears all of the background sounds. It sees all of the background images.

I just call my wife "Sweetie" because it takes too much cognitive effort to pull up her name, Yvonne. her name has an abstract connection to her. Sweetie has a defining connection to her.

You may find that you can pull words out of the air by looking around and in your mind, naming things you see. It can cause your brain to sort through memory areas that have the word you are looking for. Another trick I use is a bit odd. If I can't find a word or name, I start to release the thought of trying to find the word. Just before I introduce a new thought, sort of during the pause between thoughts, I will often find the word I was looking for. It sounds weird but it works.

I have lots of other tricks and work-arounds. The most important skills is learning how to clear your mind of distractions so you can focus on the task at hand. I will stop everything and close my eyes to help me find a focus. At first, it may takes quite a bit of effort to Stop and Think but as you learn these skills, you will get better at clearing your mind so you can Stop and Think.

Tell us more. We're here to help.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
emme727 (04-05-2012), HeadStrong (04-04-2012)