View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 03:25 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsthersDoll View Post
Welcome to neurotalk! I'm sorry to hear about your struggles.

You are still very early in your recovery. The more rest that you can give your brain - the more energy it has to put towards healing.

I would take doing anything that seems difficult as a sign that you need to take a break from it. Taking care of kids can be very demanding. Anything that you can "let go" of doing will most likely allow you to heal faster.

I also work at several universities. I was "higher functioning" before the accident I was in and I'm also a Type "A" personality. The best thing you can do right now for your brain's health is to let go of all the little things that bother you. If your brain is tired and you do the dishes because you don't like seeing the dishes in the sink it might tax your brain too much and set you back in your recovery. I know how hard it is, but you're going to have to try. There will be time for indulging your Type "A" personality again in the future. For now, consider yourself to be in recovery.

Some people spontaneously recover after a concussion and experiencing PCS.

Stress and anxiety are known to cause ill effects on the brain while recovering from a concussion. Keep calm and carry on.
THank you! We are trying. My wife and I were legally married 2 weeks before the accident. Unfortunately, we have encountered many issues which added stress to the situation. Nurses refusing to speak with her, insurance companies, etc. We have even offered copies of our marriage license. That added a lot of stress. Fortunately, we just had papers drawn up by our lawyer, which gives her ability to make decisions for me. I hope that this will relieve some of my stress and allow me to focus on healing instead of the circus.

Quote:

Since your studying to be a naturopath, let me recommend some supplements that have helped me in my recovery. (I've been recovering for more than 20 months... but my Dr. has recently given me a very good prognosis.) My neurologist has okay'd most of these at this point, please make sure your Dr. is okay with you taking them too.

-All your vitamins and minerals, including a good B complex
-daily B12 shots if you can, sublingual if not
-Phosphatidylserine
-CDP Choline
-Acetyl L Carnatine
-BCAA's
-Omega 3-6-9 oil
-D-Ribose powder

Stay away from caffeine, alcohol, MSG and processed foods.
A few weeks afte the accident, I started drinking turmeric tea, which relieves inflammation. We have also started using Flax oil. Somewhere in the recesses of my brain I realize what I need, but can't always locate it when I want. Thank you for reminding me of these.

Quote:
For now rest as much as you can, but balance it with exercise. The rest will allow your brain to let itself heal and the exercise will give it more oxygen to do so.

Mark In Idaho has pointed out to many people here that the more symptom free days that you can string together, then the more likely it is that you're allowing your brain to heal itself. Symptoms can be a warning sign that you are pushing yourself too hard to do something.

Don't worry about your finances right now (although I know it's hard not to) just focus on the most important thing - letting your brain heal.
I was running 3-5 miles a day + yoga before hte accident. It is a struggle now to walk to the end of the driveway. I am trying to visit the goats (although I no longer go in with them -- they scare me right now) or the chickens on a daily basis.

So, the fact that I have yet to have a symptom free day means that I am overdoing it?

thank you!!!!
emme727 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote