View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Wait, it gets BETTER!!!!!!!

Just got off the phone with my sister in law (Alan's sister). I was explaining the CIDP, the relation to GBS and I said "your mom had GBS, and Alan either has CIDP, or Senory GBS (Look that one up), but the treament is either Plasmapheresis or IVIG and Alan's getting the IVIG.

His sister hits me with "Oh, I have the pain between the three toes, and it has pins and needles, I've had this for years". and I get a shot of novocaine which lasts me 3 months at a time". I was incredulous. I said "you get trigger point injections between your toes"???? and she said: "well, you know that I was diagnosed with Morton's Neuroma".

Too bad I forgot to ask her if she has it in both feet!!!!

That would really tell me something (although I'm not sure exactly what)

Now years ago, when Carol (his sister) told me that she had Morton's Neuroma, I distinctly remember asking one of his podiatrists if Alan might have Morton's Neuroma (this was years and years ago when we were doing the IDIOPATHIC THING).

So the podiatrist said "no, Alan does not have a Morton's Neuroma".

Okay, I just googled up Morton's Neuroma. According to some foot sites, it's a benign nerve tumor, caused by ill-fitting shoes, aerobic exercise, etc. etc. It shows up in an x-ray and it involves ligaments, nerves, and it usually shows up in the foot between the 3rd and 4th toes. It did not indicate whether they give you emg's or nerve conduction test when you have this nerve tumor thing

Now his podiatrist has told Alan a long time ago, "you don't have Morton's Neuroma". I remember this distinctly. I believe the podiatrist was Dr. Passick from Coney Island Hospital who was a doll. He explained to me "Alan does not have a morton's neuroma", only I can't remember what he said.

Now here's my question. If a person actually has a morton's neuroma and NOT NEUROPATHY, when that person gets a nerve conduction test, and emg's and the doctor says "well, you most certainly have neuropathy, and they go into the small fiber, large fibre, blah blah blah, (which I never understood by the way), well, can you have a morton's neuroma and that is why you have neuropathy????

The symptoms are exactly the same by the way. Both Alan and his sister have pain, burning, between the toes. She never had an emg, or nerve conduction test. He has had plenty of emg's and nerve conduction, AND THE PROTEIN IN THE SPINAL FLUID.

Isn't it amazing, that they both have the exact same symptoms, but his are more pronounced when he is lying down in a certain way, or sitting in a certain way and the weather affects him greatly. With his sister, the shots of novocaine (trigger point shots I guess you would call them) well they do it for her for 3 months.

I, for one do not think this is all a coincidence. Pain, tingling, burning between toes, a brother and a sister, a mom with GBS.

No, I can't wait till I see Dr. Baird, his podiatrist. I have tons of questions to ask him. Thank goodness, he sees me as refreshing and answers all my questions.

Oh, Alan had a recent x-ray of his foot (where the ulcer was), and I would most certainly think that Dr. Baird would have noticed a Morton's Neuroma, right????

Will update when I get some answers from these guys.

Hope all of you who celebrate Easter, enjoy your Ham and other goodies!!!

bye for now, Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Last edited by MelodyL; 04-08-2007 at 10:35 AM.
MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote